"Geneva On The Lake" Villa Prototype
Some Brief Background Notations on
"Geneva On The Lake" Villa
Villa Lancellotti - country retreat in Frascati, outside of Rome, Italy
The "Geneva On The Lake" Villa, built between 1910 and 1914 by the late Byron M. Nester, is a faithful replica, although on a diminutive scale, of the imposing and grand Lancellotti Villa in Frascati in the Alban Hills outside of Rome, Italy.
The Lancellotti Family is recorded in Rome as far back as the mid-fifteenth century. This aristocratic lineage included among its members high churchmen such as Scipio Lancellotti who became a Cardinal on 15 December 1583 and built the beautiful "Lancellotti Chapel" (no longer in existence) of the historically important Church of St. John Lateran, and Orazio Lancellotti, created a Cardinal on 17 August 1611. The Lancellotti palaces in the city of Rome were designed and built by such famous architects as Francesco da Volterra, Carlo Maderno and Domenichino. Their major Roman palazzo on the Via dei Coronari, modified several times, was finished in its present form in the nineteenth century.
The garden of the Lancellotti country retreat in Frascati consisted of a spacious enclosure bounded by the splendid habitation at one end and balanced by a teatro d'acqua (water theatre) at the other. The sides were planted with huge walls of carefully clipped ilex. The lawn parterre was patterned with box-edged arabesques filled with dwarf plants, giving the effect known as carpet-bedding. This garden was, and remains, an outstanding example of the styles of the time.
Geneva On The Lake, Geneva, NY (built 1910-14)
At the "Geneva On The Lake" Villa, the lawn parterre is of a more modest design reminiscent of the Frascati prototype. The water theatre has been supplanted by an elegant pool surrounded by columns topped with colossal clay jardinières (in the Borghese style) which successfully frames a magnificent view of beautiful Seneca Lake.
"Geneva On The Lake," in its superb exterior design and its exquisitely decorated interior (with carved marble fireplaces, woodworking in classical motifs and gilt coffered ceilings in the Italian Renaissance style), is an architectural and landscape ensemble of historic merit. It has been beautifully renovated and successfully adapted for contemporary use by the Schickel Design and Development Company and is once again a jewel of the Geneva, New York community.
Anthony D'Agostino, Ph.D. and Joseph Antinoro-Polizzi, Ph.D.,
Consultants, Classical and Renaissance Architectural
Rochester, New York
1-800-3-GENEVA or 315-789-7190
1001 Lochland Rd., Route 14, Geneva, New York 14456
Copyright © 2012